Saturday, May 19, 2012

Les Parapluies de Cannes


Yesterday I was a bit of a loner. After I saw a pretty terrible Italian movie in the morning (Imagine anything with Katherine Heigl, but worse. I know. I myself did not know that could be possible either.), I had some time before my Woody Allen documentary in the afternoon. It was raining on and off all day yesterday, so the streets weren’t as crowded. I realized with all my movie seeing I really hadn’t explored Cannes yet. With my umbrella in tow, I started walking away from the festival and making my way through some of the back streets of Cannes. 
I found a wonderful gelato shop where you just order a size and then can choose as many flavors as you want. As an added bonus if you get a cone they scoop it on so it looks like a flower. I got a cup, so obviously I must go back so I can get a picture of a flower gelato cone. 
Just a block down the street from the gelato is this half-inside-half-outside crepe stand. 
      Now I have been disappointed in my crepe findings so far on this trip. The past two places I have gone didn’t make the crepe in front of me, but instead reheated a pre-made crepe. Pre-made? In France? It disturbs me as well, which is why I was so happy to find this stand. Not only did I watch my crepe be made, but it came in a lovely crepe holder. Some of you may think that such a thing is unnecessary in life, but if you have ever tried to walk down a street with a crepe on a plate and a fork you know it’s a disastrous risk.
     One other note about this place. Do not sit in the inside section if you paid in the outside section, even if it is freezing and raining outside. Europe is beautiful, but damn they are cheap. It costs extra just to sit in a chair and breathe the inside air. 
Undoubtedly my greatest spoil from my walk was le chocolatier. Some were all chocolate shops others were a bakery-pastry shop combo. I found four or five of them, each with a more drool worthy display case than the next. I can confidently say that I am now a believer in the french meringue cookie. One store in particular had hundreds and hundreds of them on display in the shop. It was the pretties thing. I guess I know what I will be baking when I get back home. I had a rose and champagne meringue as I ran across Cannes to make my documentary. It was a perfect rainy day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment